Friday, May 2, 2008

Pumpkin Cake Roll

This is one of my all time favorite dessert classics for Thanksgiving! For about the past 4 years I have made this dessert as the one main dish. In my opinion this replaces the pumpkin pie for me. It has that more elegant feel when you place it and the presentation is great!


Ingredients

Cake Ingredients
3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
1 cup fine chopped walnuts (optional)

Frosting Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
6 oz cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For cake: Beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes, gradually beat in sugar. Mix in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine well. In seperate bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until well combined. Spread in a greased and floured 17x10x1 jelly roll pan (I put wax paper on the bottom before greasing and flouring for easier release. Top with the chopped nuts and pat them down into the cake with your fingers lightly. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn out onto the already dusted towel with powdered sugar (towel at least 2" bigger than pan). Starting at narrow end while cake is hot roll up towel and cake together. Clothes pins help keep the towel rolled up.
Combine ingredients for frosting until smooth. Unroll the cake and spread this evenly over the entire surface of the cake. Re-roll and chill until serving.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I am so glad that you posted this because I love Pumpkin Roll- but I attempted my first one a few weeks ago and made a disaster of it. I didn't cook it long enough and so when I unrolled it...you can imagine the gooey mess I found! I definately will be trying this!